Saturday, July 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Ernest Hemingway.


“We would be together and have our books and at night be warm in bed together with the windows open and the stars bright.”
- A Moveable Feast

“Often a man wishes to be alone and a girl wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that. We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others…But we were never lonely and never afraid when we were together.”
- A Farewell to Arms

“I was so sentimental about you I’d break anyone’s heart for you. My, I was a damned fool. I broke my own heart too. It’s broken and gone. Everything I believed in and everything I cared about I left for you because you were so wonderful and you loved me so much that love was all that mattered. Love was the greatest thing, wasn’t it? Love was what we had that no one else had or could ever have? And you were a genius and I was your whole life. I was your partner and your little black flower. Love is just another dirty lie. Love is ergoapiol pills to make me come around because you were afraid to have a baby. Love is quinine and quinine and quinine until I’m deaf with it. Love is that dirty aborting horror that you took me to. Love is my insides all messed up It’s half catheters and half whirling douches. I know about love. Love always hangs up behind the bathroom door. It smells like lysol. To hell with love. Love is making me happy and then going off to sleep with your mouth open while I lie awake all night afraid to say my prayers even because I know I have no right to anymore. Love is all the dirty little tricks you taught me that you probably got out of some book. All right. I’m through with you and I’m through with love. Your kind of picknose love. You writer.” 
- To have And Have Not

“So this was how you died, in whispers that you did not hear.”
- The Snows Of Kilimanjaro


"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake you know."

“Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual.”

No comments:

Post a Comment