Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Books (March 2013)

It has been a while since I went to Booksale. I bought myself new books. Of course the number one rule was never to buy anything that is a hundred and over. It would be best if it is fifty or under. Sixty five is tolerable. Buy the seventy five if you think it's beautiful. Only break these rules on special occasions like when you find something you've been looking for for a long time, when it's your birthday, when it's for a special person, when it's a very rare find, a biography of your favorite people for instance, when you feel sad you feel the need to spend unusual amounts of money and if you can pay for it without hard feelings. Hard bounds come cheaper than paperbacks. As much as possible do not buy a book with a "bestseller" written on it. The feeling of being surprised of how good a book is without the critic's praise written on its first pages is exquisite and appreciation will be heightened. Judge the book by its cover, then by title, then read what's it about. (Though sometimes they can change order depending on how you feel that day.) Judge by the protagonist. I have a soft spot for any book whose protagonists are weird women, mad women, and women with some special character. But I don't look for them all the time. It's just another reason on the list why I have to buy that book right out of the shelves. 

I'll probably continue what I'm saying here on another post next time. I have to study for a histology exam and I just took a break. Kill me for being twenty and not living my life fully. Well books make you live lives you could never live. And it's a break from reality. Most of all, it's an excuse for you not to engage in a conversation with someone when shyness or the overly familiar selectively social borderline antisocial self takes over.


1. Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (hardbound)
2. Inheritance of Beauty by Nicole Seitz
3. The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
4. The Personality of A Cat (hardbound)

P.S. Thank you Sue for giving me The Personality of a Cat and for letting me meet JS.

No comments:

Post a Comment